Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sweetcorn Fritters


There are a lot of things I miss from my childhood, but one of the things I miss the most is the amazing sweetcorn fritters my mother used to make. I remember cutting the center out first and leaving the edges until last because that was the best part. It was so crispy and tasty, just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

A few weeks back I had a real craving for them and I just had to try them myself. The first time I attempted them they came out lovely and crisp, but a little bland. The next time I added extra seasoning but still they were a little bland.

So this time I experimented with extra vegetables and even more seasonings and I was suprised at how much better they turned out. I made these ones larger than I normally do, so they didn't end up as crispy as usual, but boy, were they good!

Sweetcorn Fritters

100g Plain Flour
100ml Milk
150g Sweetcorn
1 Spring Onion (chopped)
1 tspn Baking Powder
½ tspn Dried Mixed Herbs (or fresh if you have them)
½ tspn Paprika
20g Cheese (optional)

1. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking power, herbs and paprika
2. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Whisk well until you get a stiff, lump-free batter
3. Add the sweetcorn, spring onion and cheese into the mixture and stir
4. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to just cover the bottom
5. Once the pan is nice and hot, drop the mixture by spoonfulls into the oil
6. Fry on both sides until golden and crisp
7. Blot dry with kitchen tissue before serving to remove any excess oil

These can be served with Spring Onion & Sweetcorn Mayo (as seen in the pictures) or salsa as a starter or as an accompaniment to a main meal. They're also great just eaten alone as a snack. The choice is yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home