Friday, August 04, 2006

'Nilla Iced Coffee


I can't think of anything better to drink on a warm, sticky, British summer day than a cold, creamy, sweet, home-made iced coffee. I was originally inspired to make my own iced coffee while reading "Everybody Likes Sandwiches" on a very(!) hot, clammy day.

Kickpleat posted about how she likes to use leftover coffee and turn it into a yummy glass-full of what summer's all about. This inspired me to try my own, since I was very hot, very miserable and craving something sweet.

I tweaked the "recipe" slightly and added extra sugar to the syrup, lots and lots of milk and a dash of vanilla essence. Well, it was a hit! The 2 litres (or so) that I made was gone within hours and since then, I've made it a number of times on request.

Vanilla Iced Coffee

These are just rough measurements, since I usually just measure by eye

800ml Coffee (very strong)
1 litre Milk
100ml Water
200g Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
Lots of Ice


1. Brew up 800ml of very strong coffee (about 6-8 tpsns if using instant) and pour into a large bowl or jug
2. Add plenty of ice and stir until melted. Add the milk
3. In a saucepan bring the water and sugar to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture thickens a little
4. Stir the syrup into the coffee, tasting as you add. Make sure not too add too much because it can become too sweet very quickly
5. Finally, stir in the vanilla essence and leave to chill in the fridge

I've previously served this with crushed ice (blitz ice cubes in a food processor) and squirty-cream on top (chocolate flavored, to be exact). With or without either of them, this iced coffee is a must-drink on a hot day. Or any other day for that matter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home