Wednesday, August 09, 2006

English Pancakes



When I first moved in with my fiance's family I was shocked to hear that they never celebrated Shrove Tuesday, and so Jason (my fiance) had never tried proper english pancakes. I insisted that I would make pancakes for the family next Pancake Day.

Well, as promised, I did. Unfortunately, Jason didn't enjoy the pancakes and his mother (who suffers from a sensative stomach) wasn't keen on the idea, either. However, his father (Colin) and uncle (Tony) couldn't get enough of them. The entire pile of around 15 pancakes was devoured by mainly us three.

Ever since, I've been saying that I'd have to make them again. So, when it came to trying out some of my new kitchen toys, Tony suggested that I make some pancakes. Of course, I was more than happy to make them and I suspect that he and Colin were happy too (they didn't last long :P)

English Pancakes

250g Plain Flour
550ml Milk
2 Large Eggs
Pinch of Salt


1. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the center
2. In a seperate bowl combine the eggs, milk and salt
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and whisk until you get a thin, lump-free batter, sieving if needed.
4. Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan until very hot
5. Pour batter into the pan with a ladel and spread out into a thin layer with the back of the ladel
6. Fry the pancake until it becomes golden brown. Flip, and cook the other side until also golden brown
7. Blot with kitchen paper to remove the excess oil

I will warn you now that generally, the first pancake usually ends up in the bin (or in the cook's mouth) because they don't end up looking very presentable. After the first one or two, the rest should turn out a lot better.

Serving suggestions: These are wonderfully eaten sweet with sugar and lemon, maple syrup or fruit, but also delicious eaten with a savory filling such bacon, chicken or even minced meat fried with onions. Yummy!

2 Comments:

Blogger antipax said...

Hey Rachel, thanks! I always wanted to know how these were made. I never had any before.

Cheers. :D

2:16 pm  
Blogger Rachael Simpkin said...

You're very welcome, José. And thank you :)

6:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home