Monday, July 31, 2006

Mmm... Pretzels


Since I haven't really felt like doing any complicated cooking / baking recently, with the ridiculously hot weather we've been getting recently, my first main post will include an old project. Pretzels.

My fiance's favorite snack is pretzels, but only ones we've ever found are the small, crunchy ones that come in packets. We've never managed to find those stalls that sell warm, big, doughy pretzels you see in America, that come in a variety flavors and with a vast selection of toppings.

So, I thought I'd take a shot at making my own. I went for your basic salty pretzels, just to be safe. As annoying as it was shaping them, it was actually rather fun. I haven't messed around with dough like that since I was a kid, playing with that colorful play-dough that all children seem to love.

They are rather nice. Obviously, a much more breadish taste than the ones we're used to, but they make a nice change. I've halved the original recipe here because the recipe I followed made quite a large batch and we found that they are best eaten within two days at the most, otherwise they just dry out and go tough.

American-Mall-style Pretzels

150ml Warm Water
400g Plain Flour
1 tspn Active Dry Yeast
½ tspn Salt
1 tspn Sugar
1 small Egg (beaten)
Coarse Sea Salt

1. Mix together the yeast, salt and sugar. Dissolve in the warm water
2. In a large bowl blend flour and yeast solution and mix well
3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes on a clean surface
4. Place in a bowl and cover. Leave to rest for 10 minutes
5. Separate into walnut-sized balls. Place back into bowl and cover, taking as needed
6. Roll each ball into a rope (thickness as desired) and shape into pretzels
7. Place on cookie sheets and brush with the beaten egg
8. Sprinkle on salt to taste
9. Bake at 200ºC for 15 minute or until golden brown
10. Allow to cool on a wire rack


2 Comments:

Blogger antipax said...

something about the shape seems slightly off!

I'll have to try this recipe.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Rachael Simpkin said...

Yeah, it's hard shaping stretchy dough :) Haha. I'm not exactly a pretzel expert anyway :P

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home